Until now, I never...
Made my First Silk-Screened Pillow

photo 1

Hooray!  I finally completed a finished product!  I’ve been working on this since the beginning of the year and today I completely my first prototype, and I love it.  It came even better than I thought it would, and I love that when I finished sewing up, the kids immediately both said, “I love it!  Can I have it?”  And I learned so much.  Here’s what I learned along the way:

  • I need to practice silk-screening more – getting better at burning screens and using the right pressure with the squeegee.
  • I need to be more precise from the beginning.  I need to make sure I cut an a nice even fabric square, from a pattern probably, and make sure I leave ample amounts of fabric outside the boarders of the design.
  • I love picking out fabric, paint colors, and piping, and putting it all together.
  • I learned how to make piping and sew it into a pillow with a zipper.  There are a few ways to do this, but I’ve settled on the way that works best for me.
  • Fabric is forgiving.  Once I finished the pillow the tiny flaws became invisible.
  • Not all fabric is equal.  The heavier canvas material has the best weight for these pillows.
  • Not all pillow inserts are equal.  I like the squishier ones.
  • Sewing these takes a long time.  I can’t do the sewing myself if I’m going to make a number of these.  I’ll have to to find a seamstress.  But I do enjoy making the prototypes.

I can’t wait to bring my pillow to my Krypton group to get their feedback.  Stay tuned!